Sunday, December 28, 2008

Entre Santos Perros Gringos

This time of year makes everyone reminiscent, I know, but the after-christmas let down makes me miss Mexico and my sisters more than usual (and that is saying a lot). Forever christmas meant singing goofy Mexican posada songs (la pinata tiene cola, tiene cola, tiene cola colacion...); B, M and I piling into the same bed with dogs shaking in their skin in fear of those big bad christmas eve fireworks; hunting down the stockings that we couldn't hang by the chimney with care (what with the dogs and all) at three in the morning, and waking up christmas morning (if we slept at all) to what I now understand was a ridiculously enormous and overdone and more-than-we-can-afford pile of presents under the tree. I still try to live up - my sister's probably do too - to the christmas' my mother staged, but it's never the same. I could never pull a repeat with A when he was little, no matter how hard I tried... so I think that it is the combination of Mexico and my relationship with my sister's that made christmas what it was. Man, I miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment