Monday, January 12, 2009

the heart of the matter

I had an eco-cardio-thingy done this morning to make sure my post-patching-surgery heart looks like it is supposed to, and I'm in a minor state of panic (even though I am fully aware that there's nothing wrong).

First of all, walking into the place where four and a halfish years ago they ripped open my sternum, pulled my heart out, patched it up, and then put it back, is a little nerve-racking.

Second - the last time I did an eco, I had a very talkative, nice sonogram lady who kept telling me how BEAUTIFUL my heart was - how nice it looked, etc.

The lady I got today spent an awful long time getting images (longer than I thought necessary), and didn't talk at all... and didn't even smile. So, of course, I look at the image on the screen and decide it doesn't look right, I listen to my heart beat and decide that it doesn't sound right... mind you, I have no idea what it is supposed to look or sound like, but in my little over-imaginative head, I'm prepping for surgery.

I ask how everything looks and she won't tell me. "oh, i'm just taking the pictures, the doctor will look at them." When I leave, the woman at the front says, if you don't hear from us in two days, just call.

TWO frigging DAYS??? Seriously? I don't think I wanna wait that long.

1 comment:

  1. Thats what happened when they did mine too. I think ultrasound (sonogram, whatever) techs get a little too carried away with their power. Or else they just know how to work the machine. Just keep calling them until they give you and answer! I'm sure you still have a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete