Thursday, January 22, 2009

smell like dog

Every once in a while, I'll catch a whif of unmistakeable dog odor - not dog urine or shit - just dog. And it takes a second for the horror to kick in - it's ME! I smell like dog. It brings up all kinds of crazy flashbacks of what the house I grew up in smelled like. ANd it smelled of dog and cat and every single thing - liquid, solid, and the gamut in between - that could come out of said creatures.

I know the truth is that I smell like a dog OWNER, not a dog, but it still makes the hair on my neck stand up. It makes me want to wash everything I own with heavy duty extra smelly detergent and then dry it with three dryer sheets. It makes me want to sweep and mop every day. It makes me want to shave the animals and bath their stubly little bodies every day.

I keep envisioning people saying as I walk by "Ug... she smells like DOG." Chances are no one else smells it the way I do. (Of course, I also thought no one could smell the cigarette smoke that lingered on my clothes before I quit).

Guess I'll have to be ok with smelling like I'm a dog owner. I never even fathomed being a dog owner... but I guess if I have joined that one-of-a-kind group of beings who treat their dogs like children... I should get used to having their stink all over me.

1 comment:

  1. I kinda like dog smell. Within reason. Then again I have debates about whether dog feet smell like tortillas or popcorn.

    ReplyDelete